Three days ago I submerged myself into the mountains of the North Shore. It was my day off and nature was calling. Every single cell in my body needed this break away from society and the Forks-Skyline Circuit proved to be the perfect antidote to my plea for another serene adventure. It's a bit of a windy drive to the base of this hike, however well worth it as soon as you throw the gears into park and begin. It starts off as an old logging road with not a lot of incline at first. However, the path turns quite stony within ten minutes of your walk, then proceeds to climb gradually into quite a nice cardiovascular workout. As I climbed higher and higher, crossing several deep ravines, the broken trees from logging expeditions seemed to blend endlessly into the mossy covered rocks and overgrowth of years passed by. The death that once was, became life once again, thus giving this forest an entirely new life all its own.
I must share with you the pull that was calling me to take this hike. Earlier on that day I learned of an eleven hundred year old Douglas fir that stands one hundred feet high, and ten feet in diameter. Why this giant was left, among so many that were not, remains a mystery to me. But despite any stories that run amuck in my mind, the glory that stood standing before me as I took the time for this fifteen minute side step, was well worth the entire trek. The sign posted along the path is quite easily missed. Gratefully a fellow trekker took the time to carve out some instructions on where this tree could be found. You may not be able to make out the words, however this sign that says 'Brewis Trail' is easily seen. I thought perhaps this photo might be of some assistance being that I myself almost missed this glorious find.
My steps slowed down to almost a halt as I honoured this old friend of the forest. There is a peacefulness and grandeur in its company, one that I am thankful I took the time to meet.
As you follow the Skyline Trail along its alternating landscape doorways, you'll dive in and out of open land stretches that will take you underneath the power lines. They're not as distracting as one might think. These walking trails cross several creeks which flow down from the Hollyburn into the Burrard Inlet. And, if you hike this trail in the summer, perhaps you'll be as lucky as me as to have a Swallowtail butterfly dance across your path. My colourful winged friend landed only a few feet away from me as if to bask in the sunlight to strike a pose just to have its picture taken on this beautiful day.
The descent from this trek can be a little tricky. I found the trail marks to be far and few between. There are many paths to take, and some of them bare witness to many tread marks of mountain bike tires. These are great ones to follow and can take you further into lush green blue forests while still leaving some sense of surprise not really knowing where it will come out. However nearing the end of this hike, you'll notice that the majority of each trail seems to bring one back to the exact same place you started, thus bringing the name Circuit into play. Driving back home through British Properties, I stopped to climb a lumber pile of a castle that is beginning to be built. The sky was simply spectacular and the view somewhat speaks for itself.
Driving across the Lions Gate Bridge I noticed the rays of the sun pouring out over the mountains and the water. I stopped to take this photo at Prospect Point in Stanley Park. A wonderful way to bring this serendipitous day to a close.
Forks-Skyline Circuit (North Shore)
Round trip: 7 km (4.5 miles)
High point: 650 m (2100 feet)
Elevation gain: 270 m (900 feet)
Hiking time: 3 hours
I'm curious if any of you knows why this one old tree was left behind and not taken? Grateful as I am, it seems so peculiar to me that most of the trees that surround it are of new growth or have been laid to rest and yet this gentle giant still stands proud and yet so alone.

2 comments:
Some great photos there. The tree is huge, I don't think we have such huge and old trees here in Finland anymore :/
Thanks so much, Hendrik. You're right when you say this tree is huge! I'm sad to hear that there aren't anymore in Finland. I read that Canada's largest tree is the Red Creek tree with a circumference of 60 feet (18.3 metres) and a height of 180 feet (55.5 metres). It's located on Vancouver Island, about a day trip from Victoria. Might be a trek I'll have to make!
Post a Comment